Human beings have an intrinsic need to realise their full potential, and to lead meaningful and fulfilling lives. Along this journey of self-discovery and self-actualisation, one may encounter roadblocks - internal and external - that may hinder our psychosocial development. It is therefore paramount to understand and work through these hindrances.
One of the ways to work through the issues is to speak with an experienced psychologist/counsellor through personal counselling.
Personal counselling is a one-on-one counselling service offered at C-three (Counselling and Care Corner) as an avenue for clients to process their emotional, personal, and/or interpersonal issues. Clients are provided with a safe and conducive environment to talk with a neutral person without fear of being judged, and being told what to do or what is "good for you".
A therapeutic approach that best fits the client's situation is used and whenever helpful and possible to the counselling process, family members, friends, and significant others of a client may be invited to the counselling sessions(s). Sessions may be video-recorded with permission from the clients for the purposes of review, feedback, and for training.
Some issues and concerns that may be explored are
- Concerns about studies, career, health and family
- Addiction behaviours
- Loneliness, isolation, homesickness
- Stress, anxiety, depression
- Loss of a loved one
- Emotional pain from childhood physical, emotional, or sexual abuse
- Marital and family problems including family violence
- Low self-esteem
- Body image issues
- Intrapersonal and interpersonal issues
- Sexuality and gender issues
What is Coaching
Coaching is a catalysing relationship that accelerates the process of great performance. It is about identifying an individual's and/or organisation's purpose, and living out of that purpose.
In coaching, coaches partner with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximise their personal and professional potential.
People engage coaches
- To make significant and permanent changes in all areas of life, business, career, relationships, and quality of life.
- To better deal with uncertainty with their skills of creative collaboration, ability to respond to frequently changing priorities, and willingness to assume personal responsibility for setting their own direction.
- To make better decisions regardless of circumstances and even in the most confusing situations.
- To set better goals that reflect their true values, and to discover what they REALLY want.
- To reach goals faster through consistent structure of support, and innovative strategies and approaches.
- To get ahead professionally by realising their true strengths and passions, and maximising their potential.
- To improve their relationships and interpersonal skills, thereby enriching their professional and personal lives.
- To simplify their lives and yet to have "it all" to live enriching lives.
- To reduce stress so as to increase their productivity and creative contributions.
- To keep up with the speed of life. This requires adopting a flexible and adaptive mindset to respond to the fast and constant changes, and to have a competitive advantage.
Reference: Coach U, Inc. (2005). The Coach U Personal and Corporate Coach Training Handbook. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons
Confidentiality of Sessions
Clients are assured that the information shared in sessions will be kept confidential. No information will be released without the written consent of the clients except, under the following circumstances in which the counsellors/coaches are bound by law and ethical code to
- Report client's imminent dangers to self and/or others;
- Release information required by a court order.