The SUSS Writing Coaches Programme aims to provide all SUSS students with individualised one-to-one coaching on academic writing. Our coaches are SUSS students trained in TESOL/English language teaching.
Coaching will cover the following aspects:
- Understanding assignment instructions
- Understanding expectations of academic writing such as the style, tone, organization and language appropriate for academic audiences and purpose
- Using sources, citations, quotations and paraphrases
- Going through previously marked assignments to better understand the areas in which improvement is needed
- Providing one-time feedback for improvement on a portion of a draft of an assignment to be submitted (i.e., not more than 10% of the total word count of the assignment and the coaches will not provide further feedback on the draft after the consultation)
- Techniques involved in different parts of the writing process and for improving the style, tone, organisation, cohesion, coherence, grammar and mechanics
- Upholding high standards of academic integrity
For the coaching session to be productive, you need to upload assignment instructions, previously marked assignments or a small portion of a draft for a new assignment before the session. You are reminded to come prepared. If you attend without any uploaded materials, you may be allocated some time during the session to write for a practice question.
Writing coaches will NOT
- write the assignments for the students
- proofread or copyedit the drafts of assignments to be submitted
- cover the coaching of TMAs in SDE101, SDE102 and SDE105
Note: The coaching session only covers linguistics/writing aspects in the English Language and will not cover subject matter in specific disciplines. The submissions from students are only for the particular session the students have booked with the writing coaches.