Next Available Intakes: 20 November 2020 (Online) & 10 February 2021
Venue: Singapore University of Social Sciences/Online
Foggy on what cloud computing is, how cloud computing works and what it is for? This beginner’s guide is designed to demystify basic cloud computing concepts. It covers everything you need to know about cloud computing – the fundamentals of cloud computing, advantages and disadvantages, underlying technology, and commonly used cloud applications. Participants will be able to start using cloud-based services.
The workshop session provides practical use of cloud computing services such as Google Drive. Participants will be paired up and taught how to work with Google Docs to access, store and share documents. A natural progression after this course is to explore how cloud services can benefit organizations.
- Introduction to Cloud Computing
- History of the cloud
- Software as a Service (SaaS)
- Apple iCloud, Google Cloud Services, Microsoft Cloud services, Netflix
- Platform as a Service (PaaS)
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- Backup as a Service (BaaS)
- Data as a Service (DaaS): Data.Gov.sg
- Storage as a service (STaaS): Dropbox, one drive
- Cloud deployment models Private, Public and hybrid clouds
- Key features of Private, Public and Hybrid clouds
- Key characteristics of cloud, Elasticity, Multi-tenancy, self-provisioning
- Advantages of moving to the cloud
- Dis-Advantages of moving to the cloud
- Commonly used cloud applications by general public
- Commonly used cloud applications by businesses
- Common sense cloud security
- ASSESSMENT (QUIZ)
Francis Mahendran has over 25 years of experience in the IT industry. He has a Masters in Software Engineering from the National University of Singapore (NUS) and a Specialist diploma in IT Security from Nanyang Polytechnic. He is a certified Six Sigma Green Belt (Motorola), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), Certified SCRUM Master (CSM) and also a Certified Software Quality Analyst (CSQA). His key specializations are IT Governance, Process & Quality Assurance, Secure Software Development, Cybersecurity, Cloud Migration Process, Quality Management Frameworks (CMMI, ITIL, ISO 27000), assessments and audits. Francis has led Motorola Software Centre, Singapore to CMMI Level 5 certification in 2005.
Francis Mahendran was the lead architect of the Motorola Secure Software Development Model (MSSDM). Francis was instrumental in creating the MSSDM and also deploying the model across all Motorola Software Centres globally. MSSDM was presented at the Software Engineering Institute’s CMMI conference, 2006 (Nashville) and in 2007 (Texas).
Francis lectures at various Universities and polytechnics. He is an adjunct lecturer at SUSS.
His areas of training and lecturing include, Secure Software Development Model, Cybersecurity, QA for SCRUM, Project Management using Agile, SCRUM Metrics and burndown analysis, Auditing agile, Cloud Migration, Data Analytics, Business Information Technology, Computer Architecture and Operating Systems.
Francis is a fellow of the Singapore Computer Society (SCS), and Ex-President of the SCS-QA Chapter.
Please submit the following documents to email@example.com:
- Coloured copy (back and front) of NRIC for Singaporeans and PRs, or "Employment"/"S" Pass for foreign applicant
- Application form
|International Participants||S'poreans (aged below 40) and PRs||SkillsFuture Mid-Career Enhanced Subsidy1|
(S'poreans aged 40 and above)
|Enhanced Training Support for SMEs2|
|Full Course fee (A)||$650||$650||$650||$650|
|SSG grant (70%) (B)||-||($455)||($455)||($455)|
|Nett course fee (A) - (B) = (C)||$650||$195||$195||$195|
|7% GST on nett course fee (D)||$45.50||$13.65||$13.65||$13.65|
|Total nett course fee payable, including GST (C) + (D) = (E)||$695.50||$208.65||$208.65||$208.65|
|Less additional funding if eligible under various schemes (F)||-||-||($130)||($130)|
|Total nett course fee payable, including GST, after additional funding from the various funding schemes (E) - (F) = (G)||$695.50||$208.65||$78.65||$78.65|
1 Mid-Career Enhanced Subsidy: Singaporeans aged 40 and above may enjoy subsidies up to 90% of the course fees.
2 Enhanced Training Support for SMEs: SME-sponsored employees (Singaporean Citizens and PRs) aged 21 and above may enjoy subsidies up to 90% of the course fees.
- Participants are required to achieve at least 75% attendance and/or sit and pass any prescribed examinations/assessments or submit any course/project work (if any) under the course requirement.
- Participants are required to complete all surveys and feedbacks related to the course.
- The course fees are reviewed annually and may be revised. The University reserves the right to adjust the course fees without prior notice.
- Singapore University of Social Sciences reserves the right to amend and/or revise the above schedule without prior notice.
For clarification, please contact the Centre for Continuing and Professional Education (CCPE) via the following:
Telephone: +65 6248 0263