We are saddened to hear that Dr Alan HJ Chan passed away on 29 November 2023. We are deeply grateful to him for his generous donation, which made this Book Prize possible.
The Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS) is proud to present the inaugural Dr Alan HJ Chan Spirit of Singapore Book Prize. Made possible by a generous donation from Dr Alan HJ Chan, the Book Prize aims to recognise a work that best epitomises, inspires and promotes the Spirit of Singapore with a prize of S$30,000. The selection panel will include academics from SUSS and other Autonomous Universities, distinguished writers and critics, and publishers. Read the press release here.
The longlist for the Singapore University of Social Sciences’ (SUSS’s) Dr Alan HJ Chan Spirit of Singapore Book Prize 2023 has been announced.
In alphabetical order of title, the judging panel’s top 15 selections are:
- SEBASTIAN SIM, And the Award Goes to Sally Bong!
- KOH BUCK SONG, Brand Singapore: Nation Branding in a World Disrupted by Covid-19
- SYLVIA TOH PAIK CHOO et al., Eat Here Or Take Away? All About Singapore Hawker Culture
- NG ZIQIN, Every School a Good School
- KOH GEK LING EMILY et al., Once Upon a Place: 8 Singaporean Memoirs
- CHAN LI SHAN, Searching for Lee Wen: A Life in 135 Parts
- LOW SHI PING and LEANNE SIM, Sim Kee Boon: The Businessman Bureaucrat
- VINCENT CHUA, GILLIAN KOH, TAN ERN SER and DREW SHIH, Social Capital in Singapore: The Power of Network Diversity
- WOON TAI HO, Soul of Ink: Lim Tze Peng at 100
- PEH SHING HUEI, Standing Tall: The Goh Chok Tong Years, Volume 2
- KHIR JOHARI, The Food of Singapore Malays: Gastronomic Travels Through the Archipelago
- PEH SHING HUEI, The Last Fools: The Eight Immortals of Lee Kuan Yew
- HSU LI YANG and SONNY LIEW, The Pandemic Cookbook: Some Voices and Dishes in the Years of a Novel Coronavirus
- RAVI MENON, The Singapore Synthesis: Innovation, Inclusion, Inspiration
- WINSTON CHOO, CHUA SIEW SAN and JUDITH D’SILVA, Winston Choo: A Soldier at Heart
The shortlist of top five books will be announced in January 2024, and an awards dinner will be held the first quarter of 2024, during which the winner will be announced.
Bookmark this page for more updates!