Support for Students with Special Needs
We are committed to providing the best assistance to all our students in their learning journeys with us. Below are highlights of some of the facilities and services provided for students with special needs.
The campus is equipped to facilitate access by students with disabilities. Some of the features include:
- Handicap ramps for access into the buildings
- Handicap ramps from the bus stop to the buildings
- Handicap toilets on every floor
- Handicap parking lots in the car parks
- Spaces in lecture theatres reserved for wheelchair-bound students
- Braille numbers and characters on lift buttons on campus
- Lift service at overhead bridge
Faculty and support staff work in tandem to coordinate and provide the necessary assistance to students with special needs:
- Lecturers are given broad guidelines on how best to assist such students, so as to help them in their learning journeys. This includes involving them in class participation and discussing appropriate strategies for the management of their studies.
- Where possible, volunteer buddies (usually a classmate) will be assigned to assist students with special needs.
- To aid students with hearing impairment; when available, text transcripts of video/audio clips will be made accessible to these students.
Special arrangements are made to assist students with special needs taking their examinations:
- Examination question papers with bigger font and paper size (A3 size) are provided for visually impaired students (e.g. partial visual impairment).
- Printed copies of the examination announcements/instructions will be provided for those with hearing impairment.
- For students who have mobility difficulties, arrangements will be made for them to take their examinations at a separate venue or a more accessible area within the examination venue.
- Students with medical conditions will be granted extra writing time during examinations, based on supporting documents provided.
- Students with writing difficulties may be allowed to use laptops for their examinations, based on supporting documents provided.
- Special spaces are made available for graduands and guests on wheelchairs during the convocation.
- Staff on duty are assigned to assist graduands on wheelchairs to receive their certificates from the Presiding Officer on stage.
Students with special needs can contact the Student Support Office for further information.
Eileen Chan (Senior Officer, Student Support), Suzainah Ali (Assistant Manager, Student Support)
SENSupport@suss.edu.sg or email@example.com
+65 6248 9111