Department: Teaching and Learning Centre
Closing Date: 31 December 2019
[Position open to only new applicants]
As part of the growth of SUSS, the Teaching & Learning Centre (TLC) is seeking applicants for several full-time Faculty positions.
TLC promotes excellence in teaching and learning through the design and implementation of innovative pedagogies; facilitation of Faculty development and training; scholarship of teaching & learning; and provides academic support for students whilst developing lifelong learning attributes in our graduates.
We are looking for motivated individuals to join our dynamic team of Teaching & Learning (T&L) experts, as we seek to grow our capacity and reach in the field. Applicants would ideally have experience both as an academic, and in T&L in Higher Education settings. We encourage applicants with a special interest in the Learning Sciences, Technology-Enhanced Learning and/or Educational Research to apply, although we are open to diverse strengths and interests in T&L.
The successful applicant, who will report to the Director of Teaching & Learning Centre, will have his/her primary responsibilities in one of the following areas:
- Faculty Development
- Initiate, contribute to, and play an active role in promoting Faculty development, adult lifelong learning and workplace learning within a Higher Education environment.
- Provide thought leadership in one or more areas of education specialization (e.g. technology-enhanced learning, assessment, curriculum design & development, instructional design, workplace learning, program evaluation, etc) and actively contribute to the University’s scholarship, research and related activities. Applicants with depth and breadth in pedagogy are encouraged to apply.
- Develop, deliver and evaluate Faculty professional development initiatives and activities, such as course and workshop materials for online, blended and face-to-face learning interventions. Applicants should strive to operate, and excel, at the level of the theory-practice nexus.
- Develop, teach, and assess courses in adult learning at the undergraduate and Master’s levels.
- Participate in and support professional learning platforms, initiatives, networks, and communities, including playing the role of pedagogical resource persons, mentors, coaches and provocateurs for quality change, innovative improvements in T&L.
- Teaching & Learning Analytics
- Play a leading or collaborative role in designing, planning for, gathering, analysing and presenting relevant data in a meaningful way to facilitate evidence-based T&L decision-making in SUSS.
- Design and develop qualitative and/or quantitative methods of meaningfully tracking and evaluating different features of T&L within a Higher Education setting (e.g. quantitative analysis of data related to student learning outcomes/experiences, feedback, T&L interactionsor instructional approaches, to evaluate and improve the quality of course design and teaching interventions).
- Offer consultancy, provide training and deliver presentations to Schools, Faculty or external parties on the prospects of using learning analytics to enhance T&L, advise on the setting up of relevant data collection points or practices to facilitate evidence-based educational review, and discuss pertinent findings from recent research and analysis.
- Offer expertise in relevant aspects of research related to the Scholarship of Teaching & Learning (SoTL)
- Scholarship of Teaching & Learning (SoTL)
- Play a leading or collaborative role in planning for, and conducting inquiry & research into, Teaching & Learning practices within SUSS and the Higher Education/Adult Learning space in general, and publishing or publicizing the results.
- Incorporating and applying SoTL ideas, frameworks, practices, methodologies and findings to Faculty training & development, curriculum redesign & enhancement, assessment approaches, and other relevant educational initiatives.
- Act as a change catalyst and encourage experimentation & innovation in T&L to enhance knowledge and student learning.
- Contribute to, and play an active role in promoting SoTL at the institutional level, within Schools, and amongst Faculty, including managing T&L related research grants and awards, writing grant proposals and reports, and facilitating and supporting collaborative T&L research projects (e.g. by encouraging disciplinary, inter-disciplinary or industry/profession-related SoTL work and reflection in SoTL projects).
Successful applicants in all the positions above may also be assigned other duties (e.g. curriculum development, teaching, research, invigilation, committee work, etc) as needed.
TLC welcomes expressions of interest from potential applicants who may wish to find out more about the different roles or the Centre prior to applying.
- Ph.D. from a reputable university.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement pedagogically-sound initiatives in (one or more) key areas of curriculum design & development, instruction, assessment, Faculty development and training, or student development.
- Hands-on experience in Faculty professional development or student development, and university-level teaching.
- Strong team player.
- Excellent presentation, facilitation and communication skills.
How to Apply:
Please send the Summary of Candidate form together with your full resume, including qualifications, work experience, current & expected salaries and contact number(s) to email@example.com. Please indicate "TLC - Full-time Academic Position" in the email subject title.
(Shortlisted candidates will be notified, and the terms and conditions offered will be based on the individual's qualifications and experience.)