Next Available Intakes:17 April, 03 July and 06 November 2024
Time: 9am to 5pm
Venue: Online via ZOOM
Why are there so many data breaches taking place? Is data breach something we should accept as a necessary cost of digital transformation? Cybersecurity remains an endless challenge for organizations and governments globally. But cyber breaches can be mitigated with a holistic view of the necessary structures and processes for effective cybersecurity management.
This course focuses on a systems thinking approach to cybersecurity, which goes beyond just implementing the latest technological security controls. Participants will be able to appreciate how internal governance is critical in effective cybersecurity management and why a cybersecurity eco-system is needed to integrate the security developments happening externally to the organisation with internal cyber needs.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Compare the emerging technologies that drive digitalisation and the accompanying cyber threats
- Understand the concepts of secure software development and security by design
- Appreciate the significance of risk management, governance and compliance when implementing security measures
- Examine the need for continuous education on developments in the cyber world in order to be cyber safe
1. An Overview of IT Security
- Security Considerations for Data, Networks and Applications
- Security by Design and Secure Software Development
- Layered Security for Defence in Depth
2. The 4th Industrial Revolution and Digitalisation
- Digital Transformation and its Challenges
- Enabling Technologies that Drive Digitalisation
- Emerging Threats from Evolving Technologies
- Personal Data Protection
- Artificial Intelligence and Ethical Considerations in Security
3. Governance, Risk and Compliance
- Increasing Digital Interconnection
- Essential Components of Governance
- Risk Assessment and Mitigation
- Compliance Measures
- The Cyber Security Ecosystem
Francis Mahendran has over 25 years of experience in the IT industry. He has a Masters in Software Engineering from the National University of Singapore (NUS) and a Specialist diploma in IT Security from Nanyang Polytechnic. He is a certified Six Sigma Green Belt (Motorola), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), Certified SCRUM Master (CSM) and also a Certified Software Quality Analyst (CSQA). His key specializations are IT Governance, Process & Quality Assurance, Secure Software Development, Cybersecurity, Cloud Migration Process, Quality Management Frameworks (CMMI, ITIL, ISO 27000), assessments and audits. Francis has led Motorola Software Centre, Singapore to CMMI Level 5 certification in 2005.
Francis Mahendran was the lead architect of the Motorola Secure Software Development Model (MSSDM). Francis was instrumental in creating the MSSDM and also deploying the model across all Motorola Software Centres globally. MSSDM was presented at the Software Engineering Institute’s CMMI conference, 2006 (Nashville) and in 2007 (Texas).
Francis lectures at various Universities and polytechnics. He is an adjunct lecturer at SUSS.
His areas of training and lecturing include, Secure Software Development Model, Cybersecurity, QA for SCRUM, Project Management using Agile, SCRUM Metrics and burndown analysis, Auditing agile, Cloud Migration, Data Analytics, Business Information Technology, Computer Architecture and Operating Systems.
Please submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Coloured copy (back and front) of NRIC for Singaporeans and PRs, or "Employment"/"S" Pass for foreign applicant
- Application form
1 Mid-Career Enhanced Subsidy: Singaporeans aged 40 and above may enjoy subsidies up to 90% of the course fees.
2 Enhanced Training Support for SMEs: SME-sponsored employees (Singaporean Citizens and PRs) aged 21 and above may enjoy subsidies up to 90% of the course fees.
- Participants are required to achieve at least 75% attendance and pass any prescribed examinations/assessments or submit any course/project work (if any) under the course requirement.
- Participants are required to complete all surveys and feedbacks related to the course.
- The course fees are reviewed annually and may be revised. The University reserves the right to adjust the course fees without prior notice.
- Singapore University of Social Sciences reserves the right to amend and/or revise the above schedule without prior notice.
For clarification, please contact the Centre for Continuing and Professional Education (CCPE) via the following:
Telephone: +65 6248 0263