In an increasingly interconnected world, cultivating cultural awareness should be a priority for every individual and organisation. A good understanding of cultural differences contributes to an inclusive and productive environment for people from different linguistic and cultural backgrounds to collaborate and interact. Honing translation or interpreting skills provides an excellent opportunity for enhancing one’s cross-cultural understanding.
The specialist certificate courses use authentic materials from day-to-day communication in Singapore to equip students with professional translation and interpretation skills, which are highly relevant to anyone engaged in cross-cultural communication. Students who successfully complete all required courses will be issued a "Specialist Certificate in Professional Translation (Specialisation Name)" or "Specialist Certificate in Professional Interpretation (Specialisation Name)". If they achieve a pass in Certification Examinations of Professional Translators (CEPT) or Certification Examinations of Professional Interpreters (CEPI), they will be certified as "Accredited Professional Translator" or "Accredited Professional Interpreter".
The certificate courses provide four specialisations to cater for different training needs of working adults who are effectively bilingual in English and Chinese:
- Specialist Certificate in Professional Translation (Business and Finance) equips students with the relevant skills to translate commercial, marketing and financial documents for businesses and financial institutions.
- Specialist Certificate in Professional Translation (Law and Finance) hones the skills of translating legal and financial documents in the private and public sectors.
- Specialist Certificate in Professional Interpretation (Consecutive Interpretation) trains students to provide consecutive interpreting services in courts, law enforcement agencies, healthcare institutions and community centres.
- Specialist Certificate in Professional Interpretation (Simultaneous Interpretation) focuses on simultaneous interpreting skills which are widely used in a variety of settings, such as international conferences, trainings, and business or diplomatic meetings.
Upon successful completion for the required modular courses as stated below, eligible students may apply for the Certificate by clicking on the application button below.
Note: Please submit the application form only upon completion of the required courses.
Please click here for course fees.
Please click here for the sample of the course fees after funding.
- At least 18 years of age; and
- GCE 'A' level with two passes (prior to 2006) or two H2 passes (from 2006), or local polytechnic diploma; or International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma; or NUS High School Diploma
- Applicants with a Diploma from ITE, or other Diploma qualifications plus an acceptable SAT or ACT (with Writing) score may be considered for admission on a case-by-case basis
- If not, at least 5 GCE 'O' Levels & interview
For SkillsFuture credit, please refer to https://www.skillsfuture.gov.sg/credit.
Please note that SkillsFuture credit must be approved by SSG before course payment.
- Application period for January Semester: October to End November
- Application period for July Semester: April to End May
- Application for CET modular courses is to be made online. All first time applications must be accompanied by a one-time non-refundable application fee of $64.20 (inclusive of GST) and payable online only.
For more information on the programme, please contact us at +65 6248 9129 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on registration, please contact us at +65 6248 0263 / CET@suss.edu.sg.