SUSS, in its role as the Secretariat of the Service-Learning Asia Network, hosted the 7th Asia-Pacific Regional Conference on Service-Learning for the first time in Singapore, over three days from 19 - 21 June 2019.
Themed Service-Learning: A Lifelong Journey of Social Responsibility, the conference opening was graced by Guest of Honour, Mr Desmond Lee, Minister for Social and Family Development and Second Minister for National Development. Conference partners included Lingnan Foundation, SG Cares, Youth Corps Singapore and SkillsFuture SG.
Participants from educational institutes and the social service sector benefited from the sharing of latest research findings, best practices and networking opportunities with like-minded community partners.
The conference saw 120 abstracts made available in a range of presentation modes – from poster sessions, paper presentations, flipped classroom discussions, documentary screenings, resource sharing workshops and panel discussions. The interesting Community Market Place and social issue-focused learning journeys also added much buzz to the event.
The SUSS Office of Service-Learning and Community Engagement (OSLCE) took the lead to live the values we espouse by ensuring social responsibility in the planning of this conference. Here are a few examples:
- Food and beverages served during coffee and tea breaks, and tokens of appreciation for speakers were procured from social enterprises,
- There was no provision of disposable tableware, bottled water. Volunteers were activated at the end of each meal to rescue any excess food
- Only recyclable collaterals, provided on a take-what you-need basis, were used from lanyards to goodies bags
- Video and photography services were procured from SUSS student enterprises
- Complimentary conference passes were extended to community partners and student leaders of SUSS Service-Learning programmes for their professional development and appreciation for their contributions.
Need a snapshot of the conference's key statistics? We have a handy infographic for you to view!