The University was originally established as Fu Jen Academy in Peking by a group of Benedictine monks in 1925, before becoming Fu Jen University two years later. "Fu Jen” comes from the Confucian Analects: to make friends through the arts, and to cultivate virtue through such friendships. Fu Jen was incorporated into Peking Normal University in 1952 and re-established in Taiwan in 1959. The University was approved by the Taiwan Ministry of Education in 1960.
Today, Fu Jen Catholic University (FJCU) is made up of 12 colleges and the School of Continuing Education (SOCE), offering 50 undergraduate programmes, 49 master's programmes, 24 in-service master's programmes, 12 PhD programmes, 16 SOCE bachelor programmes, and one two-year in-service programme. FJCU has partnership agreements with more than 400 institutions worldwide. Their student population is 26,000 and it has more than 212,000 alumnus (as at October 2021). FJCU is a comprehensive university with degrees recognized by UNESCO, and enjoys a respected academic standing in Europe and the Americas.
On 25 June 2018, FJCU and SUSS signed a Memorandum of Understanding to promote academic exchange and cooperation.