The rapidly ageing population in Singapore, and concomitant need for trained professionals in the health, social and psychological services have given rise to an imperative need for Graduate Certificate in Gerontology, Graduate Diploma in Gerontology, Master of Gerontology and PhD in Gerontology programmes. As the needs of elder people are specialised, dedicated attention within the training to address specific characteristics such as the ageing process, demands interdisciplinary courses in Gerontology.
Singapore University of Social Sciences's Master of Gerontology, with Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma and PhD option is the first in Singapore to offer a holistic training for a rewarding career in the eldercare and silver sector. Graduates from the Programme will have acquired advanced knowledge and skills to be leaders and consultants in the field of gerontology. They will be prepared to perform challenging roles and functions in both government and private sectors.
Unique Features of the Programme
- Enrol for any standalone module of your interest
- Exciting array of modules and range of lecturers from local and overseas contexts
- Blend of theoretical and practical teaching modes
- Flexible enrolment by individual modules for credits
Most importantly, what distinguishes the programme from others are that
- There are frequent tie-ups with industry partners which can help students establish valuable networks;
- Students are often informed of industry activities and even have a chance to be involved in them due to our amicable relationships with our partners;
- Students are able to do various applied projects to solve the community issues together with our partners;
- Students are able to attend international dialogues with scholars and practitioners who are passionate about ageing matters.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis; therefore applicants are encouraged to submit their applications early.
The master's programme offers the following specialisations:
- Applied Research Track
Applied Research prepares students to address the problem statements that from the eldercare sector. They need to prepare themselves to find answers to things that are unknown, fill gaps in knowledge and practices and even advocate to change the related policies. If you wish to contribute to developing knowledge in the gerontology field, the research track would serve you well.
- Management Track
The management track would equip students with vital knowledge and managerial skills necessary to successfully deal with the challenges and opportunities of the changing Gerontology landscape. Specialisation courses include: GER514 Financial and Retirement Planning, GER519 Management of Eldercare Services, GER529 Managing an Ageing Workforce
- Practitioner Track
The practitioner track prepares students to deliver direct care to individuals, accomplish objectives and resolve issues on the ground with courses such as GER515 End of Life Policies, Issues and Care, GER517 Dementia Care and GER524 Case Management in Eldercare.
Subscribe to our SUSS Gerontology channel on Youtube to know more about our programme and gain more insight to the industry.