Applied Ageing Studies Minor
Around the world, many countries are experiencing the rapid ageing reality where challenges and opportunities are abound. In Singapore, there is an equally urgent need for professionals of different industries to brace themselves for these developments. Cross-disciplinary professionals can collaborate closely to meet these needs in the field of ageing.
We are offering the Minor in Applied Ageing Studies to provide students from different Majors to learn and be relevant in applying the knowledge across all industries. It will add value to individuals seeking to expand their career options with the extra knowledge in gerontology. Individuals from multi-disciplinary backgrounds will benefit from having more qualified understanding in an increasingly ageing society, especially for those who are not in the social service sector. Upon completion, they can apply the new knowledge to complement their degree major to be cognisant of the needs of seniors.
Unique Features of the Minor
- Enrol for any standalone module of your interest
- Exciting array of modules and range of lecturers from local and overseas contexts
- Blend of theoretical and practical teaching modes
- Flexible enrolment by individual modules for credits
Most importantly, what distinguishes the Minor from others are that
- There are frequent tie-ups with industry partners which can help students establish valuable networks;
- Students are often informed of industry activities and be involved in them as we benefit from the amicable relationships with our partners;
- Students are able to do various applied projects to solve the community pain points together with our partners;
- Students are able to attend international dialogues with scholars and practitioners who are passionate about ageing matters;
- Students from the Minor will acquire advanced knowledge and skills to be leaders and consultants in the field of applied ageing.
SUSS has pioneered the Graduate Certificate in Gerontology, Graduate Diploma in Gerontology, Master of Gerontology and PhD in Gerontology programmes in Singapore.
For Jul23 intake onwards:
Students pursuing a part-time undergraduate Major-Minor degree are required to complete 130 credit units (cu) of courses, inclusive of:
•20 cu of SUSS Core courses
•80 cu of Major courses
•30 cu of Minor or Free Electives
Students pursuing a full-time undergraduate Major-Minor degree are required to complete 200 credit units (cu) of courses, inclusive of:
•60 cu of SUSS Core courses
•80 cu of Major courses
•60 cu of Second Major, Minors and/or Free Electives